is a commune of Chile
in Cautín Province
, Araucanía Region
. The principal community and administrative centre of the comuna is the town of Puerto Saavedra
. The comuna is named after the Chilean soldier General Cornelio Saavedra Rodríguez
who was placed in charge of the occupation of the Araucanía
in 1860. It has the highest percentage—though not the largest number—of Mapuche
people in the region (64%, 2002 census).