The SS Tarpon (originally known as the Naugatuck) is a shipwreck (which sank in 1937) near Panama City, Florida, United States. It is located off the shore of Panama City. It became the sixth Florida Underwater Archaeological Preserve when it was dedicated in 1997. This was followed on May 31, 2001 with its addition to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
The ship was sent back to the manufacturer in 1891, after being sold by the original owner. The hull was lengthened by 30 feet and she was renamed the Tarpon. In 1902 she was sold to The Pensacola, St Andrews, and Gulf Steamship Company. Captain Willis Green Barrow took command, and capatained the ship for 30 years.
Tarpon sailed weekly runs from Mobile, Pensacola, St. Andrews Bay, Apalachacola, and Carrabelle, making the trip 1,735 times.
On August 30, 1937 the Tarpon was loaded in Mobile, with 200 tons of cargo and 31 people including the crew. Despite a forecast of calm weather, the wind began to pick up, and the heavilly ladened ship took on water in the high seas. Despite jettisoning cargo, the ship foundered with a heavy loss of life.