Indian (Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, and Bombay
(Bania, Vania, Brahman, Khatri), Jain
name meaning ‘chief’ in several modern Indian languages
, from Sanskrit mahita
‘praised’, ‘great’ (from mah
- ‘to praise or magnify’). In Gujarati
it has come to mean ‘teacher’, ‘accountant’, probably because teachers and accountants were respectfully so addressed in Gujarat.
In North India, the Marwari/Punjabi Oswal and Porwal Banias and the Punjabi Hindu Khatris also have clans called Mehta. . In addition, "Mehta" was also used as a feudal title in Rajasthan. Many Marwari and Punjabi Jains have also adopted "Mehta", like "Jain", as their last names.
Notable individuals with this surname :
- Karl Mehta, co-founder and CEO of PlaySpan, Inc.
- Madan Lal Mehta, (1932-2006) theoretical physicist known by his works in Random Matrix Theory
- Nicky Mehta, one of the Canadian folk trio The Wailin' Jennys
- Pherozeshah Mehta, an Indian political leader, activist, and leading lawyer
- Raghubirlal Mehta, One of the earliest (1900's) police commissioners of Calcutta
- Zubin Mehta, an Indian conductor of Western classical music
- Narsinh Mehta, (1414? – 1481?) was a well-known poet-saint of Gujarat, India.