Alpha Squadron is a former team of mutants in the comic book series New X-Men: Academy X, in the Marvel Universe. They are students of the Xavier Institute and are instructed by members of the X-Men. The squad’s colors are red, grey and black.
After M-Day, all individual teams of the Xavier Institute disbanded and have been formed into one group.
Alpha Squadron was advised by former Alpha Flight member, Northstar. Thus the name Alpha Squadron. When Northstar was seemingly killed by Wolverine, the squad was assigned a new advisor, Karma.
The members of the Alpha Squadron were:
- Anole (Victor Borkowski), Victor was the leader of Alpha Squadron. He has a reptilian mutation with the power to camouflage himself, blending in to his surroundings. Anole was one of the 27 students at the institute to retain his powers after M-Day.
- Rubbermaid (Andrea Margulies), ultra-elasticity enables her to negate the rigidity of her molecular structure in order to stretch any portion of her body to great lengths and absorb damage without injury. Andrea was the youngest member of Alpha Squadron. Rubber Maid died on a bus that was attacked by Stryker in New X-men #23.
- Indra (Paras Gavaskar), Indra is from India. He has a younger sister who is also a student at the Institute who has yet to be introduced. The name Indra is taken from the Hindu god of weather and war, and is endowed with the ability to extend exoskeletal plates over his body to increase his physical resistance to injury. Indra was one of the 27 students at the institute to retain his powers after M-Day.
- Loa (Alani Ryan), Loa is Hawaiian. Her powers allow her to "swim" through solid matter, causing it to crumble around her as she does so. Loa Retained her powers after M-Day.
- Network (Sarah Vale), Sarah's power is technopathy and can mentally interact with machines, including computers, making them follow her commands. Network died on a bus that was attacked by Stryker in New X-men #23.
- Kidogo (Lazaro Kotikash), he is a Maasai and almost a head taller than anyone else on the team. His power is to shrink himself to 4 inches in height. In the New X-Men: Yearbook Special #1, he was voted Most Ironic Power. Kidogo may have been on the bus attacked by Stryker; his current whereabouts are unknown.
After House of M, Wanda Maximoff depowered 90% of the mutant population. The Xavier Institute was affected a great deal, losing many of the students and some X-Men. Alpha Squadron was also affected. Rubbermaid, Network and Kidogo lost their powers while Anole, Indra and Loa kept theirs. Karma also kept hers. Rubbermaid and Network unfortunateley died in the bus attack from William Stryker. Kidogo's status and whereabouts are unknown.
- Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir have stated that it is not impossible that Alpha Squadron has more gay members (2 or 3) than other squads. As they have only made a decision on Anole's sexuality, they aren't sure about this yet. It remains to be seen if this idea will still be in effect after Decimation and the change of writers.
- Shan Coy Manh and Jean-Paul Beaubier, the squad's advisor and former advisor, respectively, are both homosexual.
- New X-Men: Academy X #4, 13-14
- New X-Men: Academy X Yearbook