Dr. Rovenia M. Brock, Ph.D., known as Dr. Ro to her fans, is a renowned American nutritionist, award-winning lecturer, health reporter, entrepreneur, and bestselling author.
Dr. Ro is originally from Washington, DC and holds a Ph.D. in Nutritional Sciences with an M.S. degree in Community Nutrition and Broadcast Journalism from Howard University
and a B. S. degree in Foods and Nutrition from Virginia State University
She is most widely known as the host of Heart & Soul, the first ever national health and fitness television show for African American women which previously aired on BET, and as Medical Correspondent for BET News, Nutrition Contributor for ABC News Lifetime Live, and Contributing Nutrition Editor to Heart and Soul magazine.
Expertise and Contributions
Dr. Ro is nutrition contributor to National Public Radio
(NPR) and teamed up with McDonald's
to launch the Fruit and Walnut Salad in 2005 and the Chicken Asian salad in 2006. Dr. Ro hosts Livin' Healthy with Dr. Ro
, aired on TV One
, and the PBS health and lifestyles series, Health Matters
, on WHUT-TV, a Howard University
PBS affiliate. She formerly hosted Heads Up on Health
, a weekly radio segment of the WHUR-FM morning show in Washington, D.C. She has also authored a healthy lifestyle book, Dr. Ro's Ten Secrets To Livin' Healthy (Bantam)
Television, Web, and Print Media
Dr. Ro has hosted and produced a consumer affairs television program and daily radio show At Your Service with Dr. Rovenia Brock
. The show aired on PBS
, three regional cable channels, and an NPR-member radio station serving the Washington Metropolitan area. Dr. Ro was the weekly nutritionist to NBC’s Morning Show
in Washington, DC and has appeared on The Today Show
, NPR, The Queen Latifah Show
and The Tavis Smiley Show
. Dr. Ro has written an advice column and has been featured on Web MD
and in several national publications including O Magazine
Healthy Lifestyle Promotion and Motivational Speaking
Dr. Ro is widely regarded as an expert in fitness, nutrition, healthy cooking and eating habits, and heart healthy lifestyles nationwide. She is well known as spokesperson and health expert on several national tours, including the Ebony Family Reunion Tour, the Congressional Black Caucus
Health Empowerment Tour, the Wells Fargo Enrich Yourself Women's Empowerment Tour, Total You...Mind, Body, and Spirit
national tour, the Equal Serves Up a Spoonful
media tour, and for Mazola Oils on a national 20 city tour. She has also spoken at health conventions, women’s empowerment seminars, corporate conferences, and entertainment industry functions throughout the U.S.
In late 2005, Dr. Ro introduced her first lifestyle boutique, everything Ro
, in Bethesda, Maryland, offering the Ro brand of active wear, Bath, Body, and Skin Care Therapy.
Honors and Awards
- 2006 recipient of the National Coalition of 100 Black Women's Community Health Award
- 2004 recipient of the Dorothy Height SHERO Award
- 2002 recipient of the prestigious Ph.D. Alumni of the Year Award from Howard University.
- 2002 Women in Medicine Award of the National Medical Association
- 1998 Most Distinguished Alumni Award for the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Howard University
- The March of Dimes Award for Health Reporting
- Exceptional Service Awards from the American Cancer Society and the American Heart Association
- Constructive Journalism Award from Swing Phi Swing Social Fellowship, Inc.
- Frances L. Murphy Communications Award from Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- WIC Golden Apple Award for reports on the importance of breast feeding.
Professional Memberships and Hobbies
Dr. Ro’s Ten Secrets To Livin’ Healthy (2004)
- ^ http://blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/books/bookclub/drro10505
- ^ http://www.chickenofthesea.com/a2h/askRo.aspx
- ^ http://www.makeeverydropcount.com/wellness/wellness-initiative.html
- ^ http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/news/2005/conpr_05042005.html
- ^ http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780553381917&view=bio
- ^ Dr. Rovenia M. Brock - Biography
- ^ http://www.tampaxtotalyoutour.com/celebrity-guests/dr-ro.php
- ^ TodayShow.com (September 11, 2007). 2007 "8 foods you should eat every day" with Ann Curry.