Rotowaro

Rotowaro

Rotowaro was once a small coal mining township approximately 10 km west of Huntly, New Zealand. The town was built especially for miners houses, but was entirely removed in the 1980s to make way for a large opencast mine.

History

Mining began in Rotowaro around 1915 after a Railway to the area, and bridge over the Waikato river were completed. Rotowaro train station was opened on the Huntly-Awaroa railway on 11 February, 1918. A hall was built in Rotowaro during the 1920s and opened by Rev H G Gilbert on 28 April1929. The Royal Antedilluvian Order of Bufffaloes NZ Constitution of the Grand Lodge of England once had a lodge in Rotowaro, as did other Fraternal Orders.

See also

  • The Bush Tramway Club
  • http://www.coalnz.com/mines-rotowaro.htm Solid Energy - Rotowaro]
  • http://www.archives.presbyterian.org.nz/photodatabases/1929parishimages.htm

Search another word or see Rotowaroon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature