Since the 1970s the town has benefited from the proximity of profitable coal mining industry. Leczna was the place of the first coal mine in the whole area of Lublin Coal Basin (Lubelskie Zagłębie Węglowe). It has other small industries.
They went undefeated in 2001, going 15-0. Their biggest win was against the Brazil national team in a friendly match, winning 4-1.
Founded by Jan Tarnówski, the castellan of Kraków, who built a castle near the town. In 1457 the town received its charter. Thanks to trade privileges granted by king Stephen Bathory in 1581, the town became one of the most important centres for trading horses and cattle in Poland.
After the Partitions of Poland, the town became part of Austria in 1795, then part of the Duchy of Warsaw in 1809, finally part of the Congress Kingdom under Russian rule in 1815. It became part of Poland again after the country regained its independence in 1918.