is a borough in Northampton County
, United States
. Roseto is located in the Lehigh Valley
region of the state. It is part of Pennsylvania's Slate
The population of Roseto was 1,653 at the 2000 census.
Roseto is located at (40.880576, -75.217345).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.6 km²), all of it land.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 1,653 people, 640 households, and 476 families residing in the borough. The population density
was 2,634.5 people per square mile (1,013.1/km²). There were 670 housing units at an average density of 1,067.8/sq mi (410.6/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 98.85% White
, 0.18% African American
, 0.36% Asian
, 0.18% from other races
, and 0.42% from two or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 1.94% of the population.
There were 640 households out of which 33.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.3% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.6% were non-families. 22.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the borough the population was spread out with 25.2% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 28.9% from 25 to 44, 19.2% from 45 to 64, and 19.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 89.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.3 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $39,813, and the median income for a family was $45,833. Males had a median income of $36,563 versus $21,750 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $17,419. About 5.7% of families and 7.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.4% of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.
The town is named for the village of Roseto Valfortore
in Italy. It was largely settled by Italians employed at the numerous local slate
quarries. The Wind Gap and Delaware Railroad
opened a line through the town in 1883. It was operated by the Central Railroad of New Jersey
until 1905, after which it was merged into the Lehigh and New England Railroad
, which abandoned the line in 1955. The three founders were Nicola Rosato, Giovanni Policelli, and Lorenzo Falcone, and it was incorporated as a borough in 1912.
The Borough is served by the Bangor Area School District.