It was during his overseas visit, that the South Australian Government decided to name additional Counties in the Top End. After the initial group of Palmerston, Gladstone and Disraeli, the County of Rosebery was gazetted in 1885. Rosebery covered the area north of Pine Creek.
The Place Names Committee in conjunction with the Palmerston Development Authority decided to perpetuate the Rosebery name as the County of Rosebery fell into disuse and was cancelled on 7 January 1977.
Rosebery is located on the periphery of Palmerston and is one of its newer residential suburbs. It has experienced a lot of growth in recent times.