This article provides a list of characters appearing the Romancing SaGa
- Albert: An 18 year old frontier guard, son of Lord Rudolf of Rosalia, master of Isthmus Keep. As Rudolf's heir, he was strictly trained from childhood in both academics and swordcraft. He believes in justice and dreams of becoming a royal knight, but he also has a naive side. Albert travels back and forth between the Crystal City Pub, Altours and Isthmus Keep if not the main character. He is voiced by Yuu Urata in Japanese and Yuri Lowenthal in English.
- Jamil: A 20 year old thief from South Estamir. He is sneaky, and because he has never had much money in his life, he is accustomed to stealing. He is always seen with his best friend, Dowd. He is voiced by Hiroyuki Yoshino in Japanese.
- Claudia: A 22 year old ranger that was raised by the witch, Eule. She lives in Mazewood with her pets and friends, Sylvan and Brau. She has a strong connection to Melvir royalty. She is voiced by Yuko Minaguchi in Japanese and Janice Kawaye in English.
- Aisha: A 16 year old herbologist, member of the Taralian tribe, she is a carefree tomboy that has an easy-going, friendly nature which quickly earns her friends. She is voiced by Yumiko Kobayashi in Japanese.
- Hawke: A 30 year old pirate that is always on the lookout for treasures. He has a rivalry with the pirate known only as the Butcher. He is voiced by Unshou Ishizuka in Japanese.
- Sif: A 28 year old proud warrior that lives in the icy region of Valhalland. She has been taught her fighting skills by Gato, the village chief, and has remarkable strength. She is voiced by Mika Doi in Japanese and Megan Hollingshead in English.
- Gray: A 24 year old accomplished swordsman who travels the world for love of treasure. His weapons are a dynamic mind and body, honed through countless brushes with danger. He is swayed by neither riches, power, nor appeals to morality. And if the situation calls for it, he does not hesitate to kill. He is voiced by Isshin Chiba in Japanese and Josh Phillips (actor) in English.
- Barbara: A 26 year old beautiful dancer, part of a travelling troupe. She loves to entertain others, and the Minstrel is immediately taken with her dances. She is voiced by Emi Shinohara in Japanese.
Playable non-protagonist characters
Aldora : A powerful Sorceress who aided Mirsa in the battle against Saruin. Her soul was trapped in Darque's Body by the Minions of Saruin after Darque attempted an Assassin's Trial of Feigned Death, but since Darque's Soul did not completely leave his body, two souls existed within one vessel. That is the reason for Darque's amnesia. She can only be recruited if you satisfy certain conditions .Brau & Sylvan : Animal companions to Claudia in the beginning of her story. Brau is a bear, and Sylvan, a wolf. For the beginning, they aren't dismissible, but after a certain mission, they leave forever, unless of course you choose not to see that scene.Captain Silver : The great pirate who guards over the Opal Fatestone found in Captain Silver's Cave. She guards the Opal in the form of a dragon. She can only be recruited if you have access to Pirate's Coast after you defeat her and take the Opal from the cave. She is voiced by Mikako Takahashi
in Japanese.Darque : A man who had lost his memories. You can recruit him if you have completed the quest "The Assassin's Guild", defeated the Saruin Priest during "Pirate's Invasion" in the sewers or Saruin's Minion during "Ailing Emperor", and had talked to Death from your last playthrough. He is found in any town except South Estamir. He is voiced by Keiji Fujiwara
in Japanese and Kirk Thornton
in English.Diana : Sister to Albert and can be found in Oapu or Godongo on Walon Isle but cannot be recruited into the same party as Albert. In Albert's story she appears to have been killed by a Dragon, but appears in the end. She is voiced by Satsuki Yukino
in Japanese and Michelle Ruff
in English.Dowd : Dowd is a thief who lives in South Estamir. He starts out with Jamil and cannot be recruited again if you let him go. Also, until you do certain requirements during Jamil's game, you won't be able to recruit him with other characters. He is voiced by Toshinobu Iida
in Japanese and Sam Riegel
in English.Dragon Knight : A swordwielding blue dragon who once nobly protected the Knights' Dominion long ago. Can be recruited after you solve all of the problems happening in the Dominion, though you must have an empty space in your party when he appears (and have Prince Neidhart with you if you spoke to the prince at any point) or you can never recruit him. Also, once he loses all LP, you cannot bring him back via asking Death to revive fallen allies. Also, he is considered a "mercenary" type character as he has only 5 LP and cannot equip anything beyond that of rings and amulets, though his combat skills rank him much higher than human mercenaries. Incidentally, you cannot ask the Minstrel to remove him from your party as he insists on staying with you. Dragon Knight is a character unique to the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa as he did not appear in the original Famicom version. He also does not have a voice actor in either Japanese or English, though he emits a roar when an ally falls to 0 HP in battle, making it his only known "spoken" line.Farah : Jamil's significant other. She lives in a run-down shack in South Estamir. She is one of the girls taken during the quest "Wuhan's Secret", and can't be recruited if the main character is Jamil. She is voiced by Satsuki Yukino
in Japanese.Frielei : The guardian of the treasure of Frosthold Fortress, frozen in ice for a hundred years. A difficult-to-recruit ally as you must have an open space in your party when she offers to join you(meaning completing the Frosthold Fortress with only 4 characters). If you do not recruit her then, you can never get her because she does not appear at towns and pubs like other allies for recruitment. She is also Lady Flammar's sister. She is voiced by Kaho Kouda
in Japanese.Galahad : A paladin from Rosalia. He starts the game with Gray. He is voiced by Hiroshi Matsumoto
in Japanese.Gian : He is one of Melvir's knights who work under Neville. If you do a mission entitled "Neville's Request",you are asked to save him (again, if you are playing as Claudia). He explains why he was sent to spy on the Duke of Loban, and hints about the Emperor having a child. At certain parts of the story, you are allowed to recruit him. It is also implied that he used to know Gray quite well. He is voiced by Takeshi Sasaki
in Japanese.Guella Ha : A Geckling (an anthropomorphized gecko) from Wallon Isle. He seeks out the kinder side of humans and is one of few Gecklings who does not harbor any hatred or resentment towards them. He starts out with Hawke, serving as the first mate of the pirate ship, the Ladyluck
. For other characters, he can be recruited at the Northpoint Pub. He is voiced by Kousuke Okano
in Japanese.Herman : A loud and obnoxious member of Barbara's troupe. He starts off in Barbara's party but can be recruited with any character in Weston unless the Jewel Beast destroys the town. If that scenario occurs, he can no longer be recruited. He is voiced by Daisuke Sakaguchi
in Japanese.The Minstrel : He is the only recurring character out of the trilogy, although it may not be the exact same incarnation of the character. He is known for his singing and storytelling, and his flamboyant clothing. Another defining aspect of the character is his tendency to be found in pubs. Voiced by Masanobu Kariya
in Japanese and Liam O'Brien
in English.Myriam : A fire mage of North Estamir. She starts the game with Gray. She has a tendency to think quite highly of herself (especially her looks) but is quite able to prove her power. She is voiced by Yuko Goto
in Japanese.Neidhart : He is the Prince of Rosalia and can be found in Crystal City in Rosalia but he cannot be recruited unless you fulfill certain conditions first as well as have Albert in your party to access the palace. In the beginning of Albert's story, he proposes to Diana. He also appears in the beginning of Aisha's story. If you have met Neidhart throughout your playthrough, he will kill the Dragon Knight and you must then play as him. However, if you have him in your party, you will not have to kill the Dragon Knight. He is voiced by Masaya Kato
in Japanese and Patrick Seitz
in English.Patrick : The treasurer of the Bafal Empire, placed on house arrest after being framed for embezzlement. He can be recruited later in the game at his house in Melvir.Raphael : A young squire who can be recruited during the quests "Pride of the Knights", "Theodore's Madness", and "The Dragon Knight". After completing the Dragon Knight quest, you are able to keep him in your party. He marries Constance, who plays a big role in Theodore's Madness. He and Constance are also the title art characters for the game, hence implying the "romance" of Romancing SaGa
. He is voiced by Souichiro Hoshi
in Japanese and Liam O'Brien
in English.Red Mage : An adventurer searching for treasure deep within Frosthold Fortress. He is able to use Necromancy and Sorcery skills in the game; both of which are forbidden magic that cannot be used by anyone else.Theodore : The baron of Mirsaburg. Known as the "Sword of the Dominion." He can be recruited temporarily, along with Raphael, during the quest "Pride of the Knights." He is voiced by Manta Yamamoto
in Japanese and Michael Forest
in English.Mercenaries : In the beginning of the game up until a certain point, there are various no-named mercenaries (their names are their jobs, like Sorceress or Warrior) that you can recruit in pubs. They are considered too weak to be part of your final party as they have either 3 or 4 LP as well as the fact you cannot remove their initial weapon or body armor.
Saruin : The God of Destruction, the most hated of the evil gods. He is a demonic deity that brings chaos wherever he travels. He was imprisoned by Mirsa, God of War, with the power of the Fatestones but released by his followers. He is voiced by Kim Strauss
in English.Death : The God of the Netherworld and the eldest of the three evil Gods. Through him, you can resurrect people who were killed by sacrificing LP, with exceptions to the Dragon Knight and Frielei, who cannot be revived. He is voiced by Keikou Sakai
in Japanese.Scorn, Strife, and Spite : Saruin's most trusted minions. They are after the Fatestones, and will attempt to take them from you via battle.
- ;Scorn: The crafty minion, waits in the background until the time is right to strike. Causes mass chaos in the Bafal empire, and attempts to steal the Medallions that open Twinmoon Temple and the Diamond of Light. He is voiced by Quinton Flynn in English.
- ;Strife: The aggressive minion, reflects Saruin's hatred most. Leads the Assassin Guild, and attempts to steal the Black Diamond.
- ;Spite: The insane minion, acts sheerly on impulse. Leads the assault on Isthmus, poses as a Mage and attempts to steal the Obsidian Sword.Ifrit: A Fire Demon that impersonates Theodore and attempts to forcefully acquire the Ruby of Fire from Flammar.Ewei : A mad scientist who resides in his lab on the Isle of Evil, where he performs bizarre experiments on humans in the hopes of unlocking the secret to immortality. Possesses the Emerald of Evil, one of the ten Fatestones. He is voiced by Liam O'Brien in English. The Butcher : A ruthless pirate that travels the seas and conquers any town he comes to. If you enter Melvir during the "Pirate's Invasion" quest, he is an optional boss that you can battle if you choose to meet him at the Melvir port. In Hawke's game, you can take him down once and for all but it involves abandoning a quest to do so. He is voiced by Takahiro Yoshino in Japanese.Slask : A stronger version of Strom. Corrupted by Saruin's minions.Kyllis : A stronger version of Adyllis. Corrupted by Saruin's minions.Gigavi : A stronger version of Avi. Corrupted by Saruin's minions.Pyrocanis : A stronger version of Pyrix. Corrupted by Saruin's minions.
Adyllis : The Ruler of Earth. Resides deep within Bayre Plateau. She is a large dragoness that the Minstrel plays music for. She is voiced by Shoko Tsuda
in Japanese.Avi : The Master of Wind. Dwells atop Mt. Scurve. Also known as the Lord of the birds. It is hinted that he and Prince Neidhart know each other.Constance : Theodore's daughter and Raphael's wife. She and Raphael are the game's romantic couple, hence the name Romancing SaGa
. She is voiced by Junko Minagawa
in Japanese and Erika Lenhart
in English.Eule : A witch living in Mazewood, Claudia's foster mother. Flammar : A powerful fire sorceress who lives in Weiserheim of the Knights Dominion. She is the keeper of the Ruby of Fire, one of the legendary Fatestones. She also sells powerful pyrology spells. Weiserheim and her spells can be unlocked by undergoing the quest: "Constance Kidnapped". She is voiced by Kaho Kouda
in Japanese.Gato : Chief of Valhalland, a knowledgeable, wise man. He is voiced by Daisaku Shinohara
in Japanese.Heinrich : The baron of Eugenstadt and long-time friend and ally of Theodore. Known as the "Shield of the Dominion".Marina : A sea nymph, servant of Yucomb. She accompanies you in two missions, "Stolen Nymphs" and "The Underwater Temple". She is voiced by Kumiko Nishihara
in Japanese and Jennifer Sekiguchi
in English.Monica : A woman that lives in Loban; oddly resembles Monica from Romancing SaGa 3
. She is voiced by Yuko Goto
in Japanese.Pyrix : The Lord of Fire. Dwells within Mt. Tomae. He is quite well-mannered and welcomes brave people warmly into his home.Schiele : A mysterious woman whose past is unknown, but constantly is gloomy in demeanor. She can be found in various pubs throughout the game and often tells depressing stories. In reality, she is the mortal form of Schirach
, the Goddess of Darkness and Sorcery and one of the three evil gods. Originally a treacherous woman that liked to manipulate her victims, Schirach's powers were sealed away by the Diamond Fatestone in a pact made between her and Elore, she lived among mortals as Schiele. She is voiced by Junko Minagawa
in Japanese.Strom : The Serpent of Water. Guardian deity of Kjaraht. Dwells within the Water dragon temple in the middle of Lake Malar. He accepts maiden sacrifices much like a stereotypical dragon. He is voiced by Hisao Egawa
in Japanese.Tuman : The viceroy of Tarmitta. Tuman's double appears in the mission "Water Dragon Rite" and it is required that you fight him. He is voiced by Takaya Kuroda
in Japanese.Wuhan : The potentate of Kjaraht. It is optional to fight him in the mission "Wuhan's Secret".Fel VI: Claudia's biological father, and ruler of the Bafal Empire. He becomes very ill due to a curse placed on him in the "Ailing Emperor" quest.Nataly: A young girl who travels with Barbara and her troupe of performers. She is not mentioned much in the game but she is mentioned in the Ultimania.Neville: Captain of the Royal Guards of the Bafal EmpireCornelia: The Duke of Loban and the one behind the curse placed on Fel VI. Since he is married to the Emperor's sister: Matilda, He would assume power if the Emperor died.Rudolph: Lord of the Isthmus, discovered the Seal placed on Saruin, dies in the assault on IsthmusMariah: Rudolph's wife, she dies alongside Rudolph
Marda : Creator of MardiasElore : Premier god of light and father of the gods. Created Humans.Nisa : The mother goddess, guardian of the earth. Created the Taralians. She is voiced by Reiko Fujita
in Japanese.Yucomb : God of the sea and its creatures, including the nymphs.Cyril : God of the woods and forest.Eres : Goddess of the beasts and Cyril's consort.Amut : Goddess of the moon and love.Mirsa : God of war and battles, once was mortal.Saiva : Goddess of Destruction: Elore was created from her finger with the weapon which is known as the Main Gauche (Left Hand Sword), The 3 Dark Gods: Death, Saruin, and Schirach were created from the Remains of her body after she was Defeated by Elore and Marda.
Marda and the other gods that fought Saiva and lived left Mardias because they thought it became completely useless.