Upon erection of the diocese, it was administered by the Bishop of Los Angeles-San Diego. In 1924, Irish-born Most Rev. John Bernard MacGinley was transferred from the Philippines to become the first bishop of Monterey-Fresno. He was succeeded by Bishops Scher and Willinger. On October 6, 1967, the diocese was split between Monterey and Fresno, and Most Rev. Aloysius Willinger retired as the third and last bishop of the diocese.