is a municipality in the county of Buskerud
Rollag was established as a municipality January 1, 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). Nore og Uvdal was separated from Rollag in 1858.
The municipality lies in the heart of the Numedal traditional district and valley, the westernmost valley in south-eastern Norway. The river Numedalslågen flows through Rollag and into the Ytre Oslofjord at Larvik.
The Rollag civic center is the village of Rollag, although the most populated area in the municipality is Veggli. Rollag is bordered in the north by Nore og Uvdal, in the east by Sigdal, in the south by Flesberg, and in the west by Tinn (Telemark).
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old farm Rollag (Norse Roll(u)lag
), since the first church was built here. The first element is probably (the genitive case of) a rivername *Rolla
), the last element is lag
n 'fishing place'. The meaning of the rivername is unknown (maybe 'the shivering').
In the northwest of the Rollag lie the Vegglifjell mountains
, which are an entryway into the Hardangervidda
. The municipality's highest point is Storegrønut (1289 m) in the Vegglifjell mountains.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times (1993). The lines represent an old warning cairn made of timber.
Rollag stave church
(built around 1150
) is located in the village of Veggli. Extended and windows were added in 1652. A new Apse
was added in 1666. The transept
was constructed in 1697-98. A gallery was added in 1702. The sacristy
was built in 1739. A Baroque
pulpit was added in 1763.