The Roland AX-1
is a keytar
(a shoulder-held clavier keyboard worn like a guitar
), produced by Roland
, that does not produce its own sounds but controls other devices (such as keyboards, sound modules and samplers) via MIDI
- Henrik Klingenberg of metal band Sonata Arctica plays an AX-1.
- More recently, Jake Hallman, pianist for Eric Lee Beddingfield and County Line was seen playing an AX-1 at several live shows, a rarity in Country and Southern Rock Music.
- French Maestro Jean-Michel Jarre has used the AX-1 both the black (with customised lower octave having reversed colour keys) and also the red version during his Europe in Concert tour back in 1993.
- Imogen Heap, formerly of British Pop duo Frou Frou, sported an AX-1 while touring with Frou Frou and on her solo tours.
- Branden E. Cate of the North Idaho alternative rock band, UNISON, frequently uses a red AX-1 with a flame sticker in concert.
- Chris Marion of classic rock band Little River Band has used an AX-1 since it was commercially released in the 80's.
- Madonna Wayne Gacy, former keyboardist of Marilyn Manson, played a customized AX-1 with sections spray painted black live during the Dead to the World tour.
- Simon Kvamm, of the Danish group Nephew, used the black AX-1 during the 07.07.2007 concert in Roskilde Festival in Denmark.
- Janne Warman, of the Finnish band Children of Bodom, used an AX-1 onstage. Now he uses some synths, such as from Korg.
- Haruko Momoi performs on stage and in pictures with the AX-1.