He was educated at Eton and at Christ Church, Oxford, and called to bar in 1928 at the Middle Temple. He was Deputy Lieutenant of Lancashire from 1950 to 1972. He was awarded an OBE in 1970. He was commissioned into the Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry and later transferred to the Royal Artillery.
His name changed twice: the first time in 1907, when his father changed the family name from Bibby-Hesketh to Fleetwood-Hesketh, and on 10 August 1956, when he changed his name by deed poll to the unhyphenated form of Roger Fleetwood Hesketh.