In the 2006-07 financial year, Rockhampton Airport had 650,000 domestic and approximately 6,000 international passengers travel through the terminal. In 2008-09 it is expected that 700,000 domestic passengers will use the airport. In 2007, Rockhampton Airport handled 41,232 aircraft operations .
In 1929, the lease to a former racecourse, Connor Park, was acquired by a number of aspiring aviators, and they set about making it suitable for aircraft. The Rockhampton Aero Club was formed on 9 February 1930, and announced that flying training would commence at the location. The aerodrome was officially opened as Connor Park Aerodrome on 2 March 1930. A few weeks later, the aerodrome was again officially opened as Rockhampton Aerodrome, and the first passenger aircraft, a Fokker monoplane, Star of Cairns, landed.
During World War II, facilities at the airport were substantially upgraded. The Commonwealth took over control of the airport, and the Royal Australian Air Force moved in. An Aeradio station was established to enable air ground communication, a facility that survived as a Flight Service Unit until 1992. Control Tower facilities were also established. At one stage, work was commenced to allow rapid demolition of the runways if required. In 1987 during upgrade work, the demolition tunnels were located and filled in. In February 1989, the Rockhampton City Council was vested with ownership of the airport.
During 2008 new changes that will be occurring at the airport include the installation of new air-conditioners and lighting, a second security screening point, a larger departures lounge and 280 new seats. Airport Management will also be releasing an Expression of Interest with the aim of adding more retail outlets to the airport.
|Tiger Airways Australia||Melbourne||1|
|Virgin Blue||Brisbane, Sydney||1|