(in Japan) is an overhead-view action game (with puzzle game elements) for the Famicom
/Nintendo Entertainment System
. It was released by Jaleco in 1988 and developed by Hudson Soft
the previous year. It has been suggested that the game is loosely linked to the Bomberman
series, one reason being the Japanese version's name of Bomber King. An MSX
version of Bomber King also exists.
Robowarrior takes place on an alien planet named Altile. Players pilot a cyborg named ZED (an acronym for Z-type Earth Defence) as he raids Altile to fight the Xantho empire and destroy its leader, Xur. ZED uses bombs to hurt enemies, destroy his surroundings, and uncover various hidden items. To progress from one period (level) to the next, he must find a number of keys to open a locked door.
Types of levels
- Normal: The period is not in darkness and does not loop. All that is required to finish the period is the key.
- Looping: The period continually loops until the player finds the chalice. Then the player must find the key to escape.
- Dark: The period is blacked out so that the player can only see the enemies. If the player has and uses a lamp, the period is no longer blacked out and the player is free to find the key and/or chalice. Navigating a dark level without a lamp is close to impossible.
- Maze: The period consists of mostly indestructible walls mixed with a few breakable walls. Player must find walls that could be destroyed through trial and error.
- Boss: The period contains an enemy boss. Player must defeat the boss to proceed to the next period.