Robert C. Jones
(born March 8
), sometimes credited as Robert Jones
, is a screenwriter
and film editor
. He received an Academy Award
for the screenplay of the film Coming Home
(1978). As an editor, Jones has had notable collaborations
with the directors Arthur Hiller
(seven films from 1967 to 1992) and Hal Ashby
(4 films from 1973 to 1982). Jones has been nominated three times for the Academy Award for Film Editing
(Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
, and Bound for Glory
Jones served at the Army Pictorial Center from 1958-1960 as a Specialist 4.
Jones is currently a professor at the School of Cinematic Arts of the University of Southern California (USC).
Jones is the son of film editor Harmon Jones, and the father of film editor Leslie Jones.
The director for each film is indicated in parenthesis.
- *Being There (Hal Ashby - 1979)
- *Coming Home (Hal Ashby - 1978). Academy Award and Writers Guild Award for Best Screenplay.
- *Unconditional Love (P. J. Hogan-2002)
- *Crazy in Alabama (Antonio Banderas-1999)
- *Bulworth (Warren Beatty-1998)
- *City Hall (Harold Becker-1996)
- *Love Affair (Glenn Gordon Caron-1994)
- *The Babe (Arthur Hiller-1992)
- *Beyond the Law (Larry Ferguson-1992)
- *Married to It (Arthur Hiller-1991)
- *Days of Thunder (Tony Scott-1990)
- *See No Evil, Hear No Evil (Arthur Hiller-1989)
- *Twice in a Lifetime (Bud Yorkin-1985)
- *Lookin' to Get Out (directed by Hal Ashby-1982)
- *Heaven Can Wait (Warren Beatty and Buck Henry-1978)
- *Bound for Glory (Hal Ashby-1976). Nominated for Best Editing Oscar.
- *Shampoo (Hal Ashby-1975)
- *The Crazy World of Julius Vrooder (1974)
- *The Last Detail (Hal Ashby-1973)
- *Man of La Mancha (Arthur Hiller-1972)
- *The New Centurions (Richard Fleischer-1972)
- *Cisco Pike (1972)
- *Love Story (Arthur Hiller-1970)
- *Paint Your Wagon (Joshua Logan-1969)
- *I Love You, Alice B. Toklas (Hy Averback-1968)
- *Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (Stanley Kramer-1967). Nominated for Best Editing Oscar and for ACE Eddie.
- *The Tiger Makes Out (Arthur Hiller-1967)
- *Tobruk (Arthur Hiller-1967)
- *Don't Worry, We'll Think of a Title (Harmon Jones-1966)
- *The Trouble with Angels (Ida Lupino-1966)
- *Ship of Fools (Stanley Kramer-1965)
- *Invitation to a Gunfighter (Richard Wilson-1964)
- *It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Stanley Kramer-1963). Nominated for Best Editing Oscar and for ACE Eddie.
- *A Child Is Waiting (John Cassavetes-1963)
Academy Award Nominations
- (won) Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen, Coming Home (1978).
- Best Film Editing, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963).
- Best Film Editing, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967).
- Best Film Editing, Bound for Glory (1976)