(date of birth unknown; died 6 February
1766) was an English cricketer
in the mid-18th century. He played for Surrey
in the 1750s and may well have been related to the Bartholomews who played for Chertsey Cricket Club
in the 1770s.
Re a game in the 1749 English cricket season at White Conduit Fields on 2 August involving 22 members of the London Cricket Club, the report states that the venue was in use before 1720 but that the White Conduit Club was not established until 1780. On the site was the White Conduit Tavern, erected in about 1648, and this was a favourite halting-place for those who had walked out a short distance from London. In 1749, the Tavern was owned by William Curnock and shortly afterwards by Robert Bartholomew (died 1766), the Surrey cricketer .
In 1750, the same Robert Bartholomew played for Surrey versus Kent at Dartford Brent, Kent winning by 3 wickets .
At the time of his death in 1766, Robert Bartholomew was the master of the Angel Inn at Islington and also of White Conduit House .
The Chertsey Bartholomews
Two more Bartholomews played for Chertsey Cricket Club
and appeared on scorecards in the 1770s. It is not known if they were related to Robert or to each other, though it is highly likely. On the cards of three Chertsey matches in the 1775 English cricket season
, they are recorded as "Rev Bartholomew senior" and "Mr Bartholomew junior". It is believed that the junior was William Bartholomew, who also played for Surrey teams at the time, including matches in 1773 for which scorecards have survived. The senior is believed to be the Reverend Charles Bartholomew, a Chertsey Club stalwart who played occasionally in the 1770s but may have been a regular in times past .