Ringway is a civil parish in the extreme south of the City of Manchester in Greater Manchester, England.
It is the only civil parish in the city of Manchester, and was brought into the city in 1974 to bring the majority of the terminal and hangar areas of Manchester Airport (previously known as Manchester (Ringway) Airport, built during 1935/38, and the location of RAF Ringway) within the city boundaries. It had previously been in the Bucklow Rural District of Cheshire. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 106.
The name seems to come from the Anglo-Saxon Hringhæg
= "circular or enclosing hedge(d enclosure)".
Ringway became a separate parish from that of Bowdon in 1863.
As of the 2001 UK census
, Ringway had a total population of 106. For every 100 females, there were 112 males. The average household size was 2.59. Of those aged 16–74 in Ringway, 43.7% had no academic qualifications, significantly higher than the 28.9% for all of England. According to the census, 0% were unemployed and 32.18% were economically inactive. 15.09% of the population were under the age of 16 and 2.83% were aged 75 and over; the mean age of the people of Ringway was 37.47. 79.25% of residents described their health as 'good'.
BibliographyR. N. Dore A History of Hale, Cheshire: From Domesday to Dormitory
. John Sherratt and Son Ltd, Altrincham.
- Manchester Airport, R.A.Scholefield, Sutton Publishing, Stroud, 1998, ISBN 0-7509-1954-X