Definitions

Richardville House

Richardville House

The Chief Jean Baptiste de Richardville House was built near Fort Wayne, Indiana in 1827. Subsidized by the U.S. federal government through the 1826 Treaty of Mississinwas, it is believed to be only one of three treaty houses built east of the Mississippi River.

Chief Richardville, the principal chief of the Miami from 1812 until his death in 1841, signed several treaties with the United States government as it negotiated with the Miami tribe for its eventual removal as a recognized nation. Lands were reserved for Richardville's personal use, and $600 was provided for the building of a home.

The Richardville Houses' architecture reflects both Greek Revival and Federalist styles. When completed, using both the government's and his own funds, Richardville's Fort Wayne home was the equal in style and grandeur of the homes of prominent white residents of the area at that time. The Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society acquired the house in 1991 with money donated by the Foellinger Foundation and the Ropchan Foundation.

Farther south and west lies the trading and meeting place where the Wabash River and the Erie Canal intersected in Huntington, Indiana. Here is another home where Richardville lived - a white, two-story Greek Revival filled with period furniture and portraits of the owners. This is also the site where treaties were signed. Today, this house forms the centerpiece of the historic Forks Of The Wabash not-for-profit park.

References

Poinsatte, Charles R. (1969). Fort Wayne during the Canal era, 1828-1855: a study of a western community in the middle period of American history. Indiana Historical Bureau.

External links

Search another word or see Richardville Houseon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;