) was a common year starting on Friday
(link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar
(or a common year starting on Tuesday
of the 11-day slower Julian calendar
Events of 1790
January - June
July - December
- July - Louis XVI of France accepts a constitutional monarchy.
- July 9 - Russo-Swedish War - Second Battle of Svensksund: In a massive Baltic Sea battle of 300 ships, the Swedish navy captures one third of the Russian fleet: 304 Swedes are killed, 3,500 Russians killed and 6,000 captured, 51 Russian ships are sunk and 22 are taken.
- July 12 - French Revolution: The Civil Constitution of the Clergy is passed. This completes the destruction of the monastic orders, legislating out of existence all regular and secular chapters for either sex, abbacies and priorships.
- July 14 - French Revolution: Citizens of Paris celebrate the constitutional monarchy and national reconciliation in the Fête de la Fédération.
- July 16 - The signing of the Residence Bill establishes a site along the Potomac River as the District of Columbia, the capital district of the United States
- July 27- The Convention of Reichenbach is signed between Prussia and Austria.
- July 31 - Inventor Samuel Hopkins becomes the first to be issued a U.S. patent (for an improved method of making potash).
- August 4 - A newly-passed U.S. tariff act creates the United States Revenue Cutter Service, the forerunner of the Coast Guard.
- December 11 - Russo-Turkish War, 1787-1792: 26,000 Turkish soldiers lose their lives during Suvorov's storm of Izmail.
- March 29 - John Tyler, 10th President of the United States (d. 1862)
- May 20 - Micajah Thomas Hawkins, American politician (d. 1858)
- May 23 - Jules Dumont d'Urville, French explorer (d. 1842)
- June 1 - Ferdinand Raimund, Austrian playwright (d. 1836)
- September 6 - John Green Crosse, English surgeon (d. 1850)
- November 17 - August Ferdinand Möbius, German mathematician and astronomer (d. 1868)
- November 21 - Edmund Lyons, 1st Baron Lyons, British admiral (d. 1858)
- December 8 - Augustus Meineke, German Classical scholar (d. 1870)
- December 16 - Léopold I of Belgium (d. 1865)
- December 19 - William Edward Parry, English Arctic explorer (d. 1855)
- December 23 - Jean-François Champollion, French Egyptologist (d. 1832)
- probable - Lone Horn, Minneconjou chief (d. 1875)
- See also :Category: 1790 births.
- January 13 - Luc Urbain de Bouexic, comte de Guichen, French admiral (b. 1712)
- January 15 - John Landen, English mathematician (b. 1719)
- January 31 - Thomas Lewis, Irish-born Virginia settler (b. 1718)
- February 5 - William Cullen, Scottish physician and chemist (b. 1710)
- February 20 - Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1741)
- March 12 - Andreas Hadik, Austro-Hungarian general (b. 1710)
- April 17 - Benjamin Franklin, American scientist and statesman (b. 1706)
- May 4 - Matthew Tilghman, American Continental Congressman (b. 1718)
- May 9 - William Clingan, American Continental Congressman
- May 16 - Philip Yorke, 2nd Earl of Hardwicke, English politician (b. 1720)
- May 21 - Thomas Warton, English poet (b. 1728)
- May 29 - Israel Putnam, American Revolutionary War general (b. 1718)
- July 3 - Jean-Baptiste L. Romé de l'Isle, French chemist (b. 1736)
- July 7 - François Hemsterhuis, Dutch philosopher (b. 1721)
- July 14 - Ernst Gideon Freiherr von Laudon, Austrian field marshal (b. 1717)
- July 17 - Adam Smith, Scottish economist and philosopher (b. 1723)
- July 25 - Johann Bernhard Basedow, German educational reformer (b. 1723)
- July 25 - William Livingston, Governor of New Jersey (b. 1723)
- September 2 - Johann Nikolaus von Hontheim, German historian and theologian (b. 1701)
- October 19 - Lyman Hall, American signer of the Declaration of Independence (b. 1724)
- November 6 - James Bowdoin, American Revolutionary leader and politician (b. 1726)
- November 16 - Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, American Continental Congressman (b. 1723)
- date unknown - John Hulse, English clergyman (b. 1708)
- See also :Category: 1790 deaths.