In the 16th century the Polish Hanseatic trade city near the Baltic Sea had a large trade volume with England and Scotland, and many English and Scots had come to live in Elbląg. The Scots founded the Reformed (Presbyterian) Church of Elbląg. They also formed the brotherhood of Scottish Nation of the reformed church. Many of these people did not return to Great Britain and took on Elbląg City State citizenship. The Protestant Saint Mary Church in Elbląg had many family grave sites with names such as Ramsay and Slocume until 1945.