The Hayle Railway opened a station on the west side of Redruth on 31 May 1838. The railway had been built to move goods to and from local mines and the harbours at Hayle and Portreath. A passenger service started on 26 May 1843; nearly 200 people travelled on the first train from Redruth to Hayle.
The original viaduct was built in timber to the designs of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, but it was replaced in 1888 by a masonry structure. The line had until now been just a single track with a passing loop in the station, but the new viaduct was wide enough for two tracks once the gauge rail was no longer required following the abandonment of broad gauge services in 1892. The second line was brought into use in February 1894; a second line was laid eastwards from the station in 1911.
The original Hayle Railway station became a goods depot when the new station opened, access to it being controlled by 'Redruth Junction' signal box which also controlled access to the goods branch line to Tresavean mine. Goods sidings were also provided on both sides of the line at the new station, with a large goods shed on the north side of the line. A new goods depot was opened at Drump Lane, east of the tunnel, in 1912.
Buses call at the main entrance to the eastbound platform. A car park is also on this side of the station between the main building and the viaduct on the site formerly occupied by the goods shed.
There are a limited number of CrossCountry trains providing a service to Scotland in the morning and returning in the evening. One of the local services to Penzance each weekend runs from and to London Waterloo station and is operated by South West Trains. |}
Harry's Frantic Efforts to Save Man Who Collapsed ; Teenager Praised for Brave Attempt to Save a Dying Man at Station
Feb 28, 2013; A TEENAGER tried in vain to save the life of a dying man in a railway station waiting room.Harry Poole, 15, suddenly found...