Rapla County (Rapla maakond), or Raplamaa, is one of 15 counties of Estonia. It is situated in western part of the country and borders Järva County to the east, Pärnu County to the south, Lääne County to the west, and Harju County to the north. 2.7% of the total population of Estonia live in Rapla County.
The first written records of Rapla date back to the 1241
Danish census (Liber Census Daniae
The County Government
) is led by Governor
), who is appointed by the Government of Estonia
for a term of five years. Since 9 August 2004
, the Governor position is held by Tõnis Blank
The county is subdivided into municipalities. There are 10 rural municipalities (Estonian: vallad - parishes) in Rapla County:
Natural resources found in Rapla county include limestone
, and clay
The church of Rapla was built in 1901. However, much of the interior dates back to several hundred years earlier and is of high virtu and historical value. In the church yard there are several crosses remaining from the 17th century.