is a small town in the Riverina
region of New South Wales
. It is in Carrathool Shire Council
and on the Mid-Western Highway
The site of the original township was 10 km north-west of its current location along the Hillston Road. Rankins Springs was established in 1869 around the springs at the foot of the Conapaira Range (from which the township was named). References state “the springs were closed in 1957”. Nowadays the springs only appear after extensive heavy rain.
The railway reached Rankins Springs in 1923.
Today the settlement of Rankins Springs is strung out along the Mid-Western Highway and adjacent railway line.
The main agricultural activities of the district around Rankins Springs are the growing of crops such as wheat and oats, and beef-cattle and wool-production.