Rajapur has been an important centre in maritime trade for all times in the history of the subcontinent. The town has a creek which was navigable. In colonial times the English and French East India Companies had factories which were located near the creek. It is known that these factories were abandoned in the early 1700s and appear to be used later for offices (kacheris).
1. Rajapur is surrounded by many small villages. People from these villages visit to Rajapur for shopping. Rajapur is famous for mangoes called Alphanso or locally called "Hapus".
2. Rajapur High School is old multi purpose High School is situated in the heart of town. It extends education in various subjects like drawing, carpentry, music, tailoring, commerce, typing, agriculture. Dadasaheb Mawlankar, first Speaker, was a student of Rajapur High School. Two other institutions which are more than 100 years old are 'Rajapur Nagar Vachanalaya' i.e.library and Lakshmikeshav Aushadhalaya i.e. Ayurvedic pharmaceutical.
3. 'RAJAPURCHI GANGA': At Distance of 2 kilometre from Rajapur, a holy place called "Rajapurchi Ganga" i.e. Holy Ganges of Rajapur is wonder of nature. It is situated at height 25 Metre above Height of Rajapur. This place is usually dry. However all of sudden water start flowing in Ponds. Barring exceptions, usually it happens once in 3 years. Small tanks are built for storing water and facilitating bathing. Surprisingly Water temperature in these tanks is different from each other, though those are at distance of 1 metre from each other. Approximately after three month water disappears or stops streaming. There is story telling how & why Holy Ganges appeared at this place. Scientifically it could be long siphon from Sahyadri range. Milions of people visit Ganga for bathing. One of the bigger tank, 'Kashikund' delivers clean water like glass and people believe that bathing in this water will relive them from sins.
4. HOT WATER SPRING: At one kilometer distance from Jawahar Chouk, Rajapur, there is Hot Spring. Hot water of this spring is rich with Sulphur and famous for curing skin diseases.
5. DHOOTPAPESHAWAR: LORD SHIVA TEMPLE, DHOOT PAPESHWAR: Very old Lord Shiva Temple is situated at 1.5 kilometer Rajapur. There is a picturesque waterfall close to Dhootpapeshwar --- Padhye R. K.
6. 'MAHANKALI TEMPLE": Goddess Mahankali, very old temple is close to Rajapur that can be reached by car.
7. MADBAN: At a distance of 38 km from Rajapur.It,s having one of the good seashore.It's cool & calm place to hangout~~ Anand
HOW TO REACH: Rajpur is wel connected from Mumbai Or Goa by Kokan Railway OR by Road. Places described from item 1 to 6 can be reached by Auto or Car. Visitor should be ready to eat local food as there are no starred hotels.
Best Season to Visit: Oct to Jan
Langagues Spoken: Marathi & Hindi. Educated people understand English and a few can speak English fluently.
"Sakhar" is the small Village in Rajapur. At a distance of 22.5 km from Rajapur. There is a High School Named Br. Nath Pai Madhyamik Vidyalaya Sakharin our Villege.
"Madban" is small Village in Rajapur. At a distance of 38 km from Rajapur.It,s having one of the good seashore.It's cool & calm place to hangout.Also there is Bhagvati temple which is famous in Panchkroshi.