The first squadrons to operate from there were equipped with Bristol Blenheims.
Its main pilot training squadrons in 1957 were Hawker Hunters - comprising two wings - Red and Yellow.
In 1963, 1971, 1980, 1981 and 1982 RAF West Raynham was the location of the Royal Observer Corps annual summer training camps for eight weeks when up to 500 observers attended each week for technical training sessions. Other ranks were accommodated in spare barrack blocks and officers in the officers' mess. In 1980 the start of the camps coincided with a no notice station three day Tactical Evaluation (TACEVAL) inspection by Strike Command and much consternation was caused when a wholetime ROC officer arrived at the main gate in a car loaded with radioactive sources needed for an ROC training session. With the arrival obviously not expected by the TACEVAL directing staff the vehicle was placed under armed guard and the ROC officer bundled into the station guardroom where he remained locked up for several hours until the senior ROC officer was located to vouch for him.
The airfield and technical site remained the property of the Ministry of Defence but the site was disused and falling into disrepair. In December 2005 it was announced that the whole site was to be sold at Auction. The site was purchased by a developer in 2006 who resold it in October 2007, as they had been unable to install the necessary infrastructure. The site is currently being developed by Tamarix Investments, which expects to start offering homes in November 2007.