The area is served by Quinton Library
The Old Quinton area, in the west of Quinton, contains the highest point in Birmingham, and the top of the spire of the (Church of England) Christ Church is the highest point of any building in Birmingham. It is rumoured locally that the next highest point due easterly lies in the Ural mountains. The escarpment a little to the west also forms part of the national watershed. The largest open space is Woodgate Valley Country Park, through which the Bourne Brook flows, dividing Quinton from Bartley Green.
In the 1840s, it was mentioned, then called The Quinton, that there were two small coal mines in the area and that the inhabitants were employed in nail manufacturing. Christ Church was constructed in 1840 at a cost of £2,500.
Though this area (including the Christ Church and its associated primary school) dates back to the Victorian era, and Quinton was formally removed from Worcestershire and incorporated into the county borough of Birmingham, in Warwickshire, on November 9, 1909, it remained in character a village rather than a suburb until the large-scale housing development of the 1930s. Factory developments were not planned for the area as a result of objections by residents of Edgbaston to the possibility of fumes being blown over to their area via the wind.
The expanded Quinton of that time was fictionalised as "Tilton" by Francis Brett Young in his novel Mr & Mrs Pennington.
Much of Quinton's housing consists of medium-sized semi-detached houses from this period. There is a concentration of low-rise council housing on the Woodgate Valley estate, and higher-rise blocks on the Welsh House Farm estate, though this was designated until 2004 as part of Harborne. The area is almost entirely residential, though there are typical small local service businesses and an office park has recently been developed on the Quinton Meadows site adjacent to the motorway.
The ward adopted a Ward Support Officer, with the title currently being held by Ken Brown.