The Royal Museum of Fine Arts of Antwerp
: Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten van Antwerpen
), founded in 1810
, houses a collection of paintings
from the fourteenth to the twentieth centuries. This collection is representative of the artistic production and the taste of art enthusiasts in Antwerp
and the Northern
and Southern Netherlands
since the fifteenth century.
The neoclassical building housing the collection is one of the primary landmarks of the Zuid district of Antwerp, and stands in gardens bounded by the Leopold de Waalplaats, the Schildersstraat, the Plaatsnijdersstraat, and the Beeldhouwersstraat. It was completed in 1894.