The Nichols Farms Historic District
is a district listed on the National Register of Historic Places, #87001392, comprising 1,040 acres, 81 buildings and one object. The district is located in the Nichols section of Trumbull, Connecticut
in New England
settled in the 1600s
as a part of Stratford, Connecticut
The buildings listed on the registry are located on or near the historic Nichols green with addresses of Center Road, 1681-1944 Huntington Turnpike (Connecticut Route 108
), 5-34 Priscilla Place and 30-172 Shelton Road. The 81 buildings are mostly private residences situated on two main roads in a village setting around the green or common and represent all of the periods of Connecticut domestic architecture from the early 18th century
to the present.
The green in Nichols is owned and maintained by the Nichols Improvement Association
- A memorial to those residents who fought in World Wars I and II is located on the south end of the green.
- An 80' tall pine flagpole brought through the Panama Canal from Washington was erected on the green in 1932. This pine pole replaced an earlier 115' chestnut flagpole erected on July 4, 1892 that carried a 25' by 15' flag and was believed by some to be the highest flag flown in the state at the time.
- Another well known landmark near the green is the Bunny Fountain. The fountain was a gift from the Peet family to the citizens of Nichols in 1895. The fountain was moved from the green to its present location at the intersection of Huntington Turnpike and Unity Road in 1931.
- An old grinding stone from a local mill is placed at the south end of the green.
- A piece of the original 1939 Merritt Parkway bridge that was built over Route 108 is on the green. The concrete ornament is a likeness of the town of Trumbull official seal. The bridge was dismantled in the early 1980s when the interchange was updated.
The Nichols Farms Historic District was added onto the National Register of Historic Places on September 20, 1987 after efforts by residents to establish a local historic district failed.
- Nichols Farms Historic District Archiplanet
- National Register of Historic Places
- Trumbull Historical Society, History of Trumbull, Dodrasquicentennial, 1797-1972, 1972
- Reverend Samuel Orcutt, History of the Old Town of Stratford, Connecticut, Fairfield Historical Society, 1886
- Dorothy M. Seely, Tales of Trumbull's Past, Trumbull Historical Society, 1984