Pwllheli railway station
is a railway station
serving the small coastal town of Pwllheli
on the Llŷn Peninsula
. It is the terminus of the Cambrian Coast Railway
The original station was built in 1869 by the Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway
, one of the constituent companies of the Cambrian Railways
Following land reclamation, the railway was extended west, closer to the town centre, and a new station was opened on the current site in 1909. This station had 2 platforms and a small loading dock, a layout which survived until rationalisation in 1976..
A goods yard was developed on the site of the original station. The site also included a turntable which is now in the possession of the West Somerset Railway.
The Great Western Railway doubled the line between Pwllheli Station and the Goods yard in order to increase capacity, but the signals were removed in 1976, and the double track section now forms a long run-round loop for visiting charter trains.
Prior to the closure of the Afon Wen to Caernarfon Line in 1964, there were two named express services daily during the summer between Pwllheli and London:
On 12 September 1976 both signal boxes at the station were closed. The number of platforms was reduced to one. A supermarket was eventually developed on the redundant land.
The station currently has one platform, a siding and a loop. Services are operated by Arriva Trains Wales
and depart from Pwllheli for Machynlleth
. Occasional charter services also terminate at the station.