At the center of the square is a famous statue of Pushkin, funded by public conscription and opened by Ivan Turgenev and Feodor Dostoevsky in 1880. In 1950 Stalin had the statue moved to the other side of the Tverskaya Street, where the Monastery of Christ's Passions had formerly stood.
`Citizen Kane' on Pushkin Square; Rough Politics, Secret Deals End in Corporate Coup at Russia's Izvestia Newspaper and De Facto Dismissal of Longtime Editor
Jul 13, 1997; As the editor of Izvestia, Igor Golembiovsky was arguably the most influential newspaperman in Russia. The paper, housed on...