The Public Service Railway, owned by the Public Service Corporation of New Jersey, operated most of the streetcar lines in New Jersey by the early 20th century. Public Service lines stretched from northeast New Jersey to Trenton, and then south to Camden and its suburbs. Major parts of the system were:
For many years, the only streetcar route still in operation was the #7 line, in the form of the Newark City Subway. The #7 recently underwent a total line rehabilitation, including new modern light rail cars, and was extended northward into Bloomfield. The former Cedar Street Subway (#13-Broad St., #27-Mt. Prospect, and #43-Jersey City) in Newark, another Public Service trolley line, has being rehabilitated and opened for service in 2006 as another portion of the Newark City Subway, to serve as a connection between Newark's two train stations. The other two light rail systems in New Jersey Hudson Bergen Light Rail and River Line are built along freight railroad rights-of-way and public streets, and do not date back to Public Service days.
In later years, Public Service bustituted most routes; many of these lines are still run by New Jersey Transit and even use the same number. In 1928 the operations were merged with Public Service Transportation, which operated these buses, into Public Service Coordinated Transport.