Psara (Ψαρά) is a Greek island in the Aegean Sea. It lies northwest of Khios as well as 22 km (about 13 nmi) from the northwestern point of the island of Khios and 150 km (about 75 nmi) eastnortheast of Athens. The length and width is about 7 x 8 km and the area of the island is 43 km².
Psara joined the Greek War of Independence on April 10, 1821. A noted native naval leader of the time was future Prime Minister of Greece Constantine Kanaris. The island was invaded on June 21, 1824 by Egyptian forces under the command of Ibrahim Pasha.
A part of the population managed to flee the island, but those who didn't were either sold into slavery or slaughtered. More than 15,000 Greeks were massacred. The island was deserted and surviving islanders were scattered through what is now Southern Greece. Theophilos Kairis, a priest and scholar, took on many of the orphaned children and developed the famous school the Orphanotropio of Theophilos Kairis.
Modern Psara is inhabited by 422 people, all of which inhabit the single small village on the island, also called Psara as well as its municipality.
Geochemical Constraints on the Provenance and Depositional Setting of Sedimentary Rocks from the Islands of Chios, Inousses and Psara, Aegean Sea, Greece: Implications for the Evolution of Palaeotethys
Nov 01, 2007; Abstract: The provenance and depositional setting of Late Palaeozoic and Early Mesozoic clastic sediments from the eastern Aegean...