"Liberty Medical Center, currently found at 1600 Liberty Heights Avenue, was first named Provident Hospital and built in 1894 to provide both medical treatment and training for black nurses and doctors"Provident Hospital was one of the first black medical facility located in Baltimore city. There was another Provident Hospital located in Chicago
. Provident Hospital also consists of a nursing school. An all black medical facility was in need in the late nineteenth and twentieth century due to Afro-Americans not being allowed or limited access to medical attention by other hospitals in the area.
In October 15, 1928 Provident Hospital moved from 413 W. Biddle Street to 1514Division Street. The hospital was founded by Negro physicians who were practicing in the Baltimore area. The idea of a black hospital was a place where a Negro physician could mature in his craft and ladies could become nurses through the nursing school throughout majority of the twentieth century. "The idea of a black hospital came to mind prior to the Civil War.
Provident Hospital closed down in 1986 and a year later "reopens as Liberty Medical Center in 1987 due to lack of funding.