Prosperous (An Chorrchoill) is a town in Ireland in County Kildare, at the junction of the R403 and R408 regional roads. Its population of 1,939 (2006 Census) makes it the 14th largest town in Co Kildare, an increase of 27.3pc on the 2002 census.
Prosperous is located about from Dublin in North County Kildare.
Downings graveyard and church ruins, north of the R403 to Allenwood , mark the place of the first Christian church in the area. Tradition states that the church occupies the site of the cell of St. Farnan whose feast is celebrated on the 15th of February. Nearby is the well of St. Farnan which is said to have been blessed by the Saint, giving it the valuable property that those who drink of its water never after have any relish for intoxicating drink. The old parish in this area was known as Downings. It was joined to the parish of Caragh in the eighteenth century.
There is another ruined church surrounded by a graveyard at Killybegs. The Knights Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem had a Commandery here but very little is known about it. A lease of 1538 refers to the priory and this points to its foundation before that date. The octagonal baptismal font with its carving of an angel, which is now at Prosperous church, came from Killybegs.
During penal times there was a Mass-house in the townsland of Goatstown which is north of the Grand Canal. When the town of Prosperous was built, a Catholic Church was erected near the cross-roads close to the present Drama Hall. This church was replaced by the present limestone church in 1869.
The town of Prosperous owes its origin to the vision and ideals of Robert Brook . The late eighteenth century was a time of attempted industrial development in Ireland and the industry upon which Prosperous was founded in 1780 was cotton manufacturing. The name chosen by Brook for his industrial town could only be the product of a confident dream. A close parallel to the development of Prosperous was Stratford-on-Slaney in Co. Wicklow, founded by Henry Stratford, Earl of Aldeborough in 1785 as a textile centre. Despite huge investment and, in the case of Prosperous, much building and an initial population of 4,000, both industrial ventures were failures. Stratford practically disappeared and Prosperous declined to such an extent as to be described by Lewis in 1837 as ‘little more than a pile of ruins' situated 'in a low marshy spot, surrounded by bogs and without water of importance nor reasonable hope of its revival' and more recently as a ‘straggling village labouring under its resounding name'.
The ruin of the town was accelerated by the Rising of 1798 . Prosperous was one of the first places where the United Irishmen rose. In the early morning of 24 May 1798, a large group of rebels attacked the crown forces in the town. One of the buildings holding over 50 men, including the leader, Captain Swayne, was burned. Oral tradition relates that the rebels were assisted by Ruth Hackett in the burning of the barracks. She is featured on the 1798 monument in the village square. The rebels held Prosperous until the crown forces recaptured it on the 19th of June. The troops were under the command of Colonel Stewart who boasted of destroying "this receptacle of rebellion". He said that the soldiers found drums with the inscription "Prosperous Strength Exists in Unity and Liberty".
Despite the disappearance of all of the industrial buildings some of the houses of 1780 have survived along the broad Main Street with its two squares. These add great charm to the historic core of the village centre. This, along with development along the main road, has effectively created a village in two sections. Hopefully some planning decisions will be taken by the County Council which will help draw the town together.
If Prosperous failed as a textile centre it has survived as a service centre answering the educational, shopping, social and community needs of the people of the area. It is now developing as a residential centre serving the present-day industrial development of North Kildare and the growing city of Dublin.
Theatrical productions in the Drama Theatre, the Parish Centre. Check in local papers for details of the various performances. The group are always looking for new members. To become a member, pay the small membership fee to the treasurer.
Pitch and Putt
Situated in the community field beside the Church. Has its own parking facilities complete with club house.
Christy's golf society is based in Christy's Public House. It has a large and varied membership of locals and non locals who all frequent the pub. It was founded in 1995. Outings are once a month. Contact Christy's for more details.