The Pragasapuram Church was established by missionaries Rhenius and John Thomas. Palayamkottai missionary Rev. George Pettit laid the foundation for the first church building on 3rd July 1838, and the building was completed in 1841. A school was started in 1877 and a Bungalow was constructed for Rev. John Thomas in 1841 within the church campus. The building was extended on 2.4.1987 and the tower was constructed in 1922 with the help of the catechist Vedakkan.
To mark the 200th Anniversary Celebration of the diocese, a new Pastorate was constructed on the main road in the name of Rev. John Thomas with the help of Rev M. Appadurai and was dedicated by the bishop Rt. Rev. S. Daniel Abraham. The Pastorate celebrated its Church Centenary Festival in 1997. Kirubai Illam and Students Illam with 120 students are being supported by the members of this congugation and well wishers.
The Pastorate has three congregations:
The Pastorate is part of the [[Diocese of Thoothukudi] of the Church of South India.