is a narrow island 7 miles long and 2 miles wide, lying between Coronation
and Laurie Islands
in the central part of the South Orkney Islands
. Discovered on the occasion of the joint cruise by Capt. George Powell and Capt. Nathaniel Palmer
in December 1821
. It was correctly charted, though unnamed, on Powell's map published in 1822
. Named for Captain Powell on an Admiralty chart of 1839.