is a community on the north shore of Lake Erie
, in the municipality of Bayham
in Elgin County
. It is situated at the mouth of Big Otter Creek. Its location is 42° 38' 48" N, 80° 48' 10" W. During the summer time, it is great place to eat Lake Erie perch
, ice cream
, and drive past the beach. However, there is an undertow
in Port Burwell's waters that discourage swimmers.
Originally part of Bayham Township, Port Burwell was surveyed in 1830
by Mahlon Burwell
, surveyor for land grant recipient Colonel Thomas Talbot
. A bustling port and rail terminal for much of its history, Port Burwell was incorporated as a village in 1949
. It was reamalgamated with the Bayham and the Village of Vienna
to form an expanded Township of Bayham.