This is a list of pornographic magazines
—magazines that contain content of a sexual nature and are typically considered to be pornography
. The list is divided into two sections — publications marketed primarily to heterosexual
men; and those marketed primarily to homosexual
Marketed to heterosexual men
These magazines may include female-male, female-female-male and/or female-female content.
Marketed to gay and bisexual men
These magazines may include male-male and occasionally male-male-female content.
Gay pornographic magazines, sometimes known as adult magazines or gay sex magazines, are magazines that contain content of a sexual nature, typically regarded as pornography, that relates to men having sex with men. These magazines are targeted to gay and bisexual men, although they may have some female readers. Such publications provide photographs or other illustrations of nudity and sexual activities, including oral sex, anal sex, and other various forms of such activities. These magazines primarily serve to stimulate sexual thoughts and emotions. Some magazines are very general in their variety of illustrations, while others may be more specific and focus on particular activities or fetishes.
Many stars of gay pornographic videos appear in these magazines. See List of gay porn stars.
Prior to the 1970s, gay pornography was not widely distributed due to censorship laws. Non-pornographic "beefcake magazines" were widely available, and were generally purchased by gay men. See Beefcake magazines.
The following is a list of gay pornographic magazines, with country of publication and approximate period of publication, where available:
- Adam: (Germany, 1990s - present)
- Adam Gay Video Directory: (U.S., 1980-present)Gay video catalog and ratings. Knight Publishing
- Advocate Men: (U.S., June 1984- September 1997) Originated by The Advocate gay news magazine. Became Men in October 1997 and continues to present. Published by Speciality Publications LLC, a division of LPI Media, Inc. ()
- Also published All-American Man for international audience) December 1987 - December 1990, Men of Advocate Men October/November 1985 - September 1989, Male Pictorial October 1989 - February 1993, and Advocate Classifieds biweekly 1 December 1992 - 16 September 1997. Advocate Classifieds became Unzipped.
- All-Boy: (U.S., Twice quarterly, 1999 - present) Focused on young men. Published by Color Ink, Inc.
- All-Man: (U.S., quarterly, Summer 1987 - October 1989 , bimonthly January 1990 - present) Originally published by Modernismo Publications (merged with Mavety Media in 2002). Published by Mavety Media Group, Inc. ()
- Amigo: (Czech Republic, bimonthly 1999 - present)
- Atracción: (Mexico, currently in print)
- Atractivo: (Mexico, currently in print)
- Badpupppy magazine: (U.S., 2004 - present) Focused on young men. Affiliated with badpuppy.com website. Published as "special editions" of All-Boy magazine (see above).
- Banjee: (U.S., 2003 - present) Focused on African-American men. Published by Banjee Boi, Inc.
- Bear Magazine: (U.S., 1984 - present) Focused on homosexual men with hair.
- Black Inches: (U.S., 1996 - present) Focused on African-American men. Published by Mavety Media Group, Inc. ()
- Also publishes Classic Black Inches (2000 - current) ()
- Blueboy: (U.S., 1975 - 3 issues, bimonthly January/February 1976 - August/September 77, monthly November 1977 - present) Published by Global Media Group, Ltd. ()
- Boys & Toys: (Mexico, currently in print)
- Bound & Gagged: (U.S., 1987 - 2005)
- Bronc: (U.S., 1970s - 1980s?) Focused on muscular/rough men.
- Bulk Male: (U.S., 1980s? - present) Focused on large/overweight/obese men.
- Butt: (Netherlands, 1990s - present) Nudes mixed with feature-length interviews of gay celebrities, printed in black-and-white on pink paper.
- Canadian Male: (Canada, 1990s) This magazine focused on 'bear' type men, i.e., large, hairy men.
- Colt (U.S., 1973 - current). Muscle. Originally published by Cadre Ltd. Changed to Colt Studio. Published by Isis III LLC d/b/a Colt Studio.
- Cybersocket (U.S., 1996- current). Directory of Gay Sex, Porn and everything gay internet.
- Drummer: (U.S., 1975 - 1997) Focused on leather fetish ()
- Dude: (U.S., 1997 - present)
- Euros: (Germany, 1990 - ?) ()
- First Hand: (U.S., 1980s) A 'digest' format magazine. First Hand had no photographic pornography, only erotic fiction and drawings. ()
- FlavaMen: (U.S., 2004 - present) Black & Latin men, published 4x/year by Flava Works, Inc.
- Flesh4Men: (U.S., 2005 - present) Published quarterly by SoCal Media, Inc.
- Freshmen: (U.S., 1991 - present) Focused on young men. Published by Speciality Publications LLC, a division of LPI Media, Inc. ()
- G Magazine: (Brazil, 1998 - present) ()
- Also has published as special editions: G Action, G Best of G, G Bumbuns, G Fetiche, G Go-Go Boys, G Lolitos, and G Men in Underwear
- 'G Magazine, Boston, Massachusetts,
a.k.a. Gentlemen's Lifestyle Magazine: ()
- GASM: (USA) Published by Adult stars Magazine
- Gus: (France/European Union)
- Heat: (U.S., October 1987 - 1995)
- HIM: (UK, 1980s - ?) Additional edition as HIM Magazine ()
- Hombres Latinos: (U.S., 1995 - 1999) Latino men. ()
- Homens: (Brazil)
- Also has published as special editions: Archivo Homens, Homens Billy, Homens Ninfetos, Homens Porn, and Homens Sodoma.
- Honcho: (U.S., April 1978 - present) Focused on hairy muscular men. Published by Mavety Media Group, Inc. ()
- Hot Male Review: (U.S., January 1983? - 1999?) ()
- In Touch for Men: (U.S., 1973 - present) Began as an "art and regional review" with little in the way of porn, monthly in 1974, seems to have become pornograhic bimonthly in 1975, monthly in January 1981. In the late 1970s and during the 1980s, it had a lot of articles about possibly gay rock stars, and avant garde performance artists and models (such as John Sex and Peter Berlin [See issue #77, March 1983]), but since about 2000, it has focused mostly on photos of young twinks. Other titles: 'In Touch I.T. for Men''' (). Published by Go West Media Group LLC.
- Inches: (U.S., March 1985 - present) Focused on men with large penises. Published by Mavety Media Group, Inc. ()
- Indulge: (U.S., bimonthly March/April 1995 - present) Published by Go West Media Group LLC. ()
- Iniquity: (U.S., July 1991 - 1997) Published by Casey Klinger. ()
- Instigator' (U.S., 2006 -) Leathermen, Domination, Fetish Published by IXA Media
- International Leatherman: (1994 - 1998) ()
- Jock: (U.S., monthly January 1985 - present) Published by Global Media Group, Ltd. ()
- JustUsBoys Magazine (): (Canada, 2005 - present). Bimonthly magazine with circulation of 100,000 copies. Distributed in the US and Canada. A free gay guide to the sexy side of the internet. Published by JUB Media, Ltd.
- Just Men: (U.S., 1983 - 1989?) (Tux Magazine—Hudson Communications, publisher) ()
- Latin Inches: (U.S., 1997 - present) Focused on Latin men with large penises. Published by Mavety Media Group, Inc. website
- Latino Fan Club: (U.S., 1999 - 2003?) Focused on Latin men. Ceased publication in 2003. Published by Latino FC d/b/a Latino Fan Club. ()
- M1: (Taipei, Taiwan, quarterly Summer 2005 - present). Focused on Asian men. Primarily features the work of Chinese photographer Adu. Published by Adu Vision Studio Co. Adu Vision Studio
- Machismo: (U.S., quarterly 1993 - 1995, bimonthly August/September 1995 - February/March 1997, 8 issues/year 1997 - 1999, bimonthly in 2000, quarterly 2002 -present) Focused on Latino men. Machismo was originally published by G.T. Publishing, Inc., but was taken over by Princeton Publishing Inc. in 1996. "Latino Fan Club" contributed much of the content. In 2001, Machismo was taken over and revamped by Global Media Group Ltd.
- Male Insider: (U.S., 1982 - 1993)
- Mandate magazine: (U.S., monthly April 1975 - present) Published by Mavety Media Group, Inc. ()
- Männer Aktuell: (Germany, 1990s - present)
- Manshots: (U.S., bimonthly September 1988 - 1995, 9 issues 1996, 10 in 1997, 8 in 1998, 9 in 1999, 11 in 2000, 1 in 2001) A magazine featuring interviews, still photography from and reviews of pornographic videos. Ceased publication in 2001. Published by First Hand, Ltd.
- Men: (U.S., monthly, October 1997 - present. Began as Advocate Men in June 1984. Published by Specialty Media LLC, a division of LPI Media, Inc. ()
- Numbers: (U.S., 2 bimonthly issues in 1977, then monthly 1978 - 2002) ()
- Obsessions: (U.S., April 1988? - July 1997?) Published by Casey Klinger. ()
- Playguy: (U.S., 1972 - present) Published by Mavety Media Group, Inc. ()
- Savage Male: (U.S., bimonthly June 1993 - 1995, 8 issues in 1996, 1 in 1997) ()
- Shōnen Ai no Bigaku: (Japan, explicit shotacon magazine, 2003-current)
- Skin: (U.S., 1980 -1996) A hard core (explicit) magazine with limited distribution.
- Skinflicks: (U.S., 1980 - 1999) A magazine featuring still photography from and reviews of pornographic videos.
- Stallion: (U.S., monthly April 1982 - June 1993)
- Stars: (U.S., 1981 - 1997) ()
- Straight to Hell: The Manhattan Review of Unnatural Acts: (U.S., 1971 - 1990) True sex stories submitted by readers; edited by Boyd McDonald. This small magazine became a cult favorite on the New York art scene.
- Stroke: (U.S., 1988 - 1998) Hardcore.
- Studflix: (U.S., 1984 - 1985)
- TaSo's Stand-Up Funny Fuck: (U.S., monthly April 1982 - June 1993)
- Thrust: (1995 - 1998)
- Torso: (U.S., July 1982 - present) Published by Mavety Media Group, Inc. ()
- Turner: (U.S., 1980s - present cross-over genre, popular in Japan, known as Takagi in sophisticated circles)
- : (U.S., bimonthly March/April 2001 - present) A more explicit magazine featuring photographs of couples simulating sex. Published by Specialty Publications LLC, a division of LPI Media, Inc. ()
- Uncut: (U.S., 1987 - 1993)
- Unzipped: (U.S., Biweekly 30 Sept 1997 - 18 Jul 2000, monthly Aug 2000 - present) Originally published as Advocate Classifieds (biweekly 1 December 1992 - 16 September 1997). Published by Specialty Publications LLC, a division of LPI Media, Inc. ()
- Urge: (U.S., 1995 - 1999) ()
- Vulcan: (UK, 2006)
- XXX Showcase: (U.S., 1993 - present). Contains hard-core images from and reviews of adult gay pornographic films. Published by Knight Publishing.
- Zipper: (UK, 1970s? - 2006). Now Zipper Hardcore.
Playgirl magazine (U.S., monthly 1973 - present) and Viva magazine (U.S., 1970s), although targeted to heterosexual women, attract a large gay male readership