The town is best known for its Dumnaya Mountain, where a monument to those who died fighting Kolchak's army is located. The Dumnaya Mountain and its surroundings are also mentioned in many tales by Pavel Bazhov.
The town was founded in the first quarter of the 18th century as a settlement around copper mines. The first mine was established in 1702, and the commercial development started in 1718. In 1724–1727, a factory was built to process the copper.
The modern town comprises the territories of former settlements of Gumeshki, Polevskoy, and Seversky.