The Playfair Project
created an underground link between the National Gallery of Scotland
and the Royal Scottish Academy Building
. The project was named after William Henry Playfair
, the original designer of both buildings. It has been one of the largest engineering projects of its kind and has been the first modification for either building since the remodelling work undertaken by William Thomas Oldrieve
between 1910 and 1912.
The link was officially opened on August 4 2004, at a cost of £30 million.