Placetas is also called, "Villa de los Laureles" due to the characteristic trees that are planted in strategic places around the town. The city is registered as the place where the river Zaza is born, the river runs from the outskirts of the town into the sea. The river Zaza is currently an environmental preservation area. The area is primarily a sugar producing region, with three "centrales" sugar producing factories. Placetas also has mayor railroad industries that operate from its area. The municipality is divided into the barrios of Cabecera, Guaracabulla, Hernando, Nazareno, San Andrés, Sitio Potrero and Tibisial.
The main Catholic church in the town is called San Atanasio de Placetas, after the town's patron saint. As of 1996, it had one library, a main post office, three middle-high schools(13 de Marzo, Rodolfo Leon Perlacia and Julio Antonio Mella), one police station and many recreational areas. Most of the town's structures were built before the Communist regime of Fidel Castro, and little of the town has been renovated since 1959.
Villa Clara Economy Hit Hard by Decline of Sugar Industry: This Is the Sixth in a Series of Monthly Articles on Cuba's 15 Provinces by Geographer Armando H. Portela, Who Has a Ph.D. in Geography from the Soviet Academy of Sciences. Portela Currently Resides in Miami
Feb 01, 2013; Villa Clara is one of three provinces created in 1976 after the division of the old province of Las Villas. Measuring 8,441.8 sq...