Pixar Play Parade
is a parade at Disney's California Adventure
park at the Disneyland Resort
which premiered on March 14th
. The parade features floats and characters based on Disney-Pixar films such as Monsters Inc
, The Incredibles
, and Ratatouille
. In a first for the Disneyland Resort, the floats feature small water jets that shoot water into the crowd of spectators.
Below is a list of the parade unit order as of March 14th, 2008.
- Led by Lightning McQueen from Cars
- Opening / Monsters Inc. Unit: Boo, George, and Needleman lead off the parade with a baton-twirling Roz and a large, oddly shaped drum driven by Sully. A small animated figure of Mike Wazowski sits on the back of the float with a microphone, spouting various puns and jokes.
- Incredibles Unit: The Incredibles float features a large replica of Syndrome's Omnidroid with two arms moving around the float with the help of two performers, spouting water occasionally. Jack-Jack, the baby of the family, rides on top of the droid, occasionally shooting flames from his head. Mr. Incredible, Mrs. Incredible (aka ElastiGirl), and Frozone ride in front of the float on individual "hovercrafts", along with dancers on spring-loaded stilts.
- Ratatouille Unit: This float is lead by ten-foot tall chefs on stilts, waving assorted cooking utensils around as part of their movements. The float consists of an oversized kitchen on wheels, with a foam spouting sink and stacked pots and pans with Emile waving to the crowd inside a large cup and bungee-jumping "Rats" flying through the air. Remy stand in the front of the float in front of a large cookbook.
- Finding Nemo Unit: Puppets of Marlin, Nemo, Dory, and Squirt lead this section of the parade, with oversized pieces of coral and a large puppet of Crush on the float along with water-squirting baby turtles. Female performers with large jellyfish puppets follow the float.
- A Bug's Life Unit: The longest float in the parade, it features Flik and Atta on a two-person swing with Dot looking on, along with two larger swings in the back portion of the float capable of swinging almost 360-degrees around the top of the float. Heimlich leads the float, pushing a water-squirting flower with him, occasionally splitting in to multiple portions as he walks.
- Finale / Toy Story Units: The final float features three portions: the first featuring Little Green Men armed with with squirt guns and a large tinker-toy figure that squirts water through it's fingers. The second float features a large clear globe with plastic balls bouncing around inside with Buzz Lightyear atop the float in a rocket. The final section, seemingly pulled by Hamm the Piggy Bank, features Rex standing atop a large ball, holding a long bar in his mouth that acts as beam for gymnasts to swing around on, along with Woody and Jessie on a motorized teeter-totter squirting water from spring-action shooters. Slinky Dog front portion stands on the back of the float, while his back portion walks along the route following the float.
- Concluded with Mater from Cars.
A month after the parade debuted, an accident took place on the "A Bug's Life" float. One of the platforms on a swing in the back portion of the float broke off during a performance, but the performer had gotten off the swing before it broke. The float was taken off of the route for almost three months, with only the front portion remaining in the parade. This accident caused Disney to suspend all acrobatic acts in the parade for a small amount of time, but the all returned less than a month after the accident. The back portion of the float itself returned to the parade in July of 2008.
Block Party Bash
Disney's Eureka! A California Parade (2001-2002)