is a village
and also a civil parish
within Aylesbury Vale district
. It is located about two and a half miles north east of Waddesdon
, and four miles south of Winslow
Pitchcott was described in 1806 in Magna Britannia as follows:
- PITCHCOTE, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies about seven miles [11 km] north-west of Aylesbury. The manor was in the family of Vernon as early as the year 1377, and continued to be their property in 1557. It was anciently held under the Bohuns, earls of Hereford. In 1603 it was purchased of Sir Walter Pye by an ancestor of Thomas Saunders esq. who is the present proprietor, and patron of the rectory.
The village name is Anglo-Saxon in origin, and means 'cottage where pitch is stored'. In manorial rolls of 1176, the village is recorded as Pichecote.
The parish church dedicated to Saint Giles has been deconsecrated and converted to a private house, although the churchyard is still in use. Pitchcott is joined with nearby Oving to form the ecclesiastical parish of "Oving with Pitchcott", which is served by All Saints church in Oving.
Pitchcott today is a small parish of only 1000 acres (4 km²); this includes approx. 32 acres (130,000 m²) of arable land, the remainder being grassland. There are a few new barn conversions that were built in 2007.