The Pickett House is the former home of George Pickett, and the oldest home in Bellingham, Washington, USA. Built in 1856, the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
After Captain Pickett arrived in Bellingham on the pretense of overseeing the construction Fort Bellingham
, he chose a spot on what was then referred to as Peabody Hill in the town of Whatcom
to be cleared for his home. The house was built with two stories of lumber provided by the nearby Roeder-Peabody lumber mill on Whatcom Creek
. About a year later, the Captain's son, James Tilton Pickett, was born in the house. After Pickett left Bellingham in 1861 to serve in the Civil War
, the house traded hands several times, before Hattie Strothers left the house to the Washington State Historical Society in 1936 upon her death. In 1941, the home became a museum, and later home to the Daughters of Pioneers
, both of which still occupy the site.
Very few changes have been made to the original structure. A spiral staircase has added to replace the ladder to the upstairs sleeping quarters, and a kitchen has been added to the lean-to section of the house.