Pervez Amirali Hoodbhoy (Urdu: پرویز ہودبھائی) (born 11 July 1950) is Professor of High Energy Physics and the head of the Physics Department at Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan. He graduated and also received PhD from MIT and continues to do research in Particle physics. He received the Baker Award for Electronics in 1968, and the Abdus Salam Prize for Mathematics in 1984. He has authored various scientific research papers in peer-reviewed journals.
Hoodbhoy is also a prominent environmental and social activist and regularly writes on a wide range of social, cultural and environmental issues. He is the chairman of Mashal, a non-profit organization which publishes Urdu books on women's rights, education, environmental issues, philosophy, and modern thought. He is a staunch opponent of Wahhabist militant Islam in Pakistan and an advocate for democracy in the country.
Hoodbhoy gained his Bachelor of Science
and Electrical Engineering
, followed by M.S.
in Solid-State Physics
from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
in 1973. He went on to obtain a Ph.D. in Nuclear Physics
in 1978 from the same institution. Later, he remained a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Washington
. He has been a faculty member at the Quaid-e-Azam University since 1973. He is engaged in research on Quantum field theory
, Particle Phenomenology
, and Supersymmetry
in Particle physics. He is a visiting professor
at Carnegie Mellon University
, MIT, the University of Maryland, College Park
, and Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
. He also occasionally lectures at various American
research institutions. He is a sponsor of The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
. He also serves on the International Advisory Council of the Brookings Doha Center
Apart from his specialist field of research, Hoodbhoy extensively writes and speaks on general topics ranging from science in Islam to education and nuclear disarmament issues around the world. He is author of Islam and Science: Religious Orthodoxy and the Battle for Rationality, that has been translated into 5 languages. His articles on various issues related to science and social issues are often published in international media.
He is married to Hajra Ahmad, niece of Pakistani journalist-activist Eqbal Ahmad. Both their daughters, Asha and Alia, are graduates of Hampshire College.
He produced a 13-part documentary series in Urdu
for Pakistan Television
on critical issues in education, and two series aimed at popularizing science. In 2004, he made a documentary film 'Crossing the Lines: Kashmir, Pakistan, India' along with Zia Mian.
Awards and Honours
He is also the recipient of:
- Education and the State – Fifty Years Of Pakistan, Oxford University Press, 1998. ISBN 978-0195778250
- Islam and Science: Religious Orthodoxy and the Battle for Rationality; Zed Books, London, 1992. ISBN 978-1856490252 (Translations in Arabic, Indonesian, Malaysian, Turkish, and Urdu)
- (Co-Edited with A. Ali), Proceedings of the School on Fundamental Physics and Cosmology, World Scientific, Singapore, 1991.
- (With A. H. Nayyar), Rewriting the History of Pakistan, in Islam, Politics and the State: The Pakistan Experience, Ed. Mohammad Asghar Khan, Zed Books, London, 1986. ISBN 978-0862324711
Scientific papers and articles
- Two-Photon Effects in Lepton-AntiLepton Pair Photoproduction from a Nucleon Target using Real Photons, Authors: Pervez Hoodbhoy, Phys.Rev. D73 (2006) 054027
- Probing Quark Distribution Amplitudes Through Generalized Parton Distributions at Large Momentum Transfer, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Xiangdong Ji, Feng Yuan, Phys.Rev.Lett. 92 (2004) 012003
- Explicit Proof that Electroproduction of Transversely Polarized Vector Mesons Vanishes in Perturbative QCD, Pervez Hoodbhoy (University of Maryland and Quaid-e-Azam University), Phys.Rev. D65 (2002) 077501
- Does the Gluon Spin Contribute in A Gauge Invariant Way to Nucleon Spin? Pervez Hoodbhoy, Xiangdong Ji, Phys.Rev. D60 (1999) 114042
- Nucleon-Quarkonium Elastic Scattering and the Gluon Contribution to Nucleon Spin, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Phys.Rev.Lett. 82 (1999) 4985-4987
- Implications of Color Gauge Symmetry For Nucleon Spin Structure, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Xiangdong Ji, Wei Lu, Phys.Rev. D59 (1999) 074010
- Quark Orbital-Angular-Momentum Distribution in the Nucleon, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Xiangdong Ji, Wei Lu, Phys.Rev. D59 (1999) 014013
- The Spin Structure of the Nucleon in the Asymptotic Limit, Ji, J. Tang (MIT), P. Hoodbhoy (Quaid-e-Azam, Pakistan), Phys.Rev.Lett. 76 (1996) 740-743
- Helicity-Flip Off-Forward Parton Distributions of the Nucleon, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Xiangdong Ji, Phys.Rev. D58 (1998) 054006
- Wavefunction corrections and off-forward gluon distributions in diffractive J/psi electroproduction, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Phys.Rev. D56 (1997) 388-393
- Relativistic and Binding Energy Corrections to Direct Photon Production In Upsilon Decay, Mohammad Ali Yusuf, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Phys.Rev. D54 (1996) 3345-3349
- Beyond The Colour-Singlet Model For Inelastic J_psi Photoproduction, H. Khan, P. Hoodbhoy, Phys. Lett. B382 (1996) 189
- The Spin Structure of the Nucleon in the Asymptotic Limit, X. Ji, J. Tang (MIT), P. Hoodbhoy (Quaid-e-Azam, Pakistan), Phys.Rev.Lett. 76 (1996) 740-743
- Novel approach to decays, gluon distributions, and fragmentation functions of heavy qurakonia, Rafia Ali, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Phys.Rev. D51 (1995) 2302-2310
- Quark fragmentation functions in a diquark model for proton and $Lambda$ hyperon production, Muhammad Nzar, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Phys.Rev. D51 (1995) 32-36
- Systematic gauge invariant approach to heavy quarkonium decays, Hafsa Khan, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Phys.Rev. D53 (1996) 2534-2540
- Twist-Four Distributions in a Transversely-Polarized Nucleon and the Drell-Yan Process, Pevrez Hoodbhoy, Xiangdong Xi, Phys.Rev. D50 (1994) 4429-4435
- Detecting Two-Photon Exchange Effects in Hard Scattering from Nucleon Targets, in Mathematical Physics: Proceedings of the 12th Regional Conference, Islamabad, Pakistan 27 March - 1 April 2006, World Scientific, Singapore, 2007. ISBN 978-981-270-591-4