Pensford is a village in the civil parish of Publow and Pensford in Bath and North East Somerset, England. It lies in the Chew Valley 7 miles south of Bristol and 8 miles west of Bath. It is on the A37 road from Bristol to Shepton Mallet.
Pensford was identified as being of special architectural and historic interest and was designated a Conservation Area in May 1988.
The River Chew suffered a major flood in 1968 with serious damage to towns and villages along its route, including sweeping away the bridge over the A37 and damaged the railway viaduct so badly that it never reopened. On 10-11 July a storm brought heavy rainfall to the Valley, with falling in 18 hours on Chew Stoke, double the areas average rainfall for the whole of July.
The St Thomas A Beckett Church is a Grade II* listed building and currently on the English Heritage Buildings at Risk Register, following damage in a flood in 1968. During the 1980s an attempt was made to turn it into an arts centre but this was abandoned when the extent of the repairs required to make the building safe became clear. In 2007 the church was put on the market for redevelopment, and in 2008 purchased for repair and use as a private dwelling.
An octagonal eighteenth century lock up where criminals and drunks could be kept for the night. This is a Grade II listed building and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Pensford has three pubs - The Travellers Rest, The Rising Sun, and The George And Dragon. During the 17th and 18th Centuries Pensford was an important staging post for stage coaches which stopped at the George and Dragon and Rising Sun. The George and Dragon dates from 1752. It is a Grade II listed Building.
For centuries Pensford has been an important crossing point on the River Chew. The modern road bridge was rebuilt in 1968 after flood damage, but the much older (1839-1885) bridge, by the church, survived the flood.
On the western side of the village is a viaduct on the disused Bristol and North Somerset Railway, built in 1873 which was closed to trains in 1968 after the great flood of Pensford (the River Chew flooded), after which it was deemed unsafe. The last passenger train had been earlier: the 9.25 a.m. from Frome to Bristol on 31 October 1959, and after that there were only goods trains (mainly bringing coal from Radstock) and those ceased in 1964 and very occasional excursion trains. The Pensford viaduct is 995 feet (303 m) long, reaches a maximum height of 95 feet (29 m) to rail level and consists of sixteen arches. The viaduct is now a Grade II listed building.