It was founded in 1892, by reporters and editors at the city's seven morning and six evening newspapers by combining the Stylus Club, the Journalist Club of Philadelphia and the Reporters Club. Under its bylaws, the club is controlled by the working press.
The club is currently located at 1522 Latimer St. in Philadelphia, PA, approximately three blocks east of Rittenhouse Square in Center City.
According to its Web site, "The club has seen many well-known faces in its history. President William Howard Taft once engaged in bar banter at the P&P until 5 a.m., after giving his bodyguards the slip. George M. Cohan felt at home here. So did past members Red Smith and Damon Runyon."