The Paterson River
is a river in the Hunter Region
of New South Wales
. Its headwaters are in the Barrington Tops National Park
and it flows to join the Hunter River
. Between Hinton and Duns Creek
it forms the border between the Port Stephens
and Maitland Local Government Area
Colonel William Paterson surveyed the area along the river in 1801. Later Governor King named it in his honour.
The river courses through fertile the farming land of the Paterson valley. Lostock Dam, downstream from the source in the Barringtons, was constructed by the New South Wales Department of Water Resources to supply water for irrigation and was completed in 1971.
The Allyn River is a tributary of the Paterson and towns along the route include Gresford, Vacy, Paterson, Woodville and Hinton.